Assistant Professor and Deb Faculty Fellow
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Phone: (510)642-33716135 Etcheverry Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1740
Dr. Michael Gollner received his B.S. (2008), M.S. (2010) and Ph.D. (2012) in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, San Diego. He was a faculty member in the Department of Fire Protection Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park from 2012-2019. He is broadly interested in fire science problems, utilizing experiments and combustion and fluid dynamics theory to solve problems related to fire spread, material flammability, and smoke transport. Much of his work is focused on applications to wildfires, including their spread through vegetation, ignition of structures in the wildland-urban interface (WUI), transport of embers, fire whirls, and emissions from wildfire smoke.
Dr. Gollner is active in professional society leadership, serving as Treasurer and a member of the Board of Directors for the International Association of Wildland Fire (IAWF), Chair of the Research Advisory Board of the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) Fire Protection Research Foundation, and as a member of the Management Committee of the International Association for Fire Safety Science. He also serves as Associate Editor for the journal Fire Technology and serves on the boards of the Fire Safety Journal and the International Journal of Wildland Fire. He is a principal member of the NFPA Technical Committees on Spaceports and Wildland and Rural Fire Protection. He is also a recipient of the NSF CAREER award, Proulx Early Career Award in Fire Safety Science, and the Fire Protection Research Foundation Medal.
Research Interests: Fire science, combustion and fluid dynamics, including fire spread, wildland fires, material flammability, sustainable building fire safety and smoke and toxic product transport.
Current Scholarly and Professional Service:
- Associate Editor, Fire Technology
- Member, Editorial Board, Fire Safety Journal
- Member, Editorial Board, Fire Technology
- Board of Directors and Treasurer, International Association of Wildland Fire
- Research Advisory Board Member, Fire Protection Research Foundation, National Fire Protection Association
- Principal Member, National Fire Protection Association Technical Committee on Forest and Rural Fire Protection.
- Communications Committee Chair, International Association for Fire Safety Science
- Elected Member, Management Committee, International Association for Fire Safety Science
- Associate Editor, Fire Safety Science News, International Association of Fire Safety Science Newsletter